So, I will be off to Japan soon, in that regard I need a list. Presented here in all it’s glory is my Bucket list!
I can add to this when I know a little more of where I will be based in Japan. The stuff listed is kind of generic and is a ‘must’ do. Now as I have done Kyoto, Nara & Hiroshima they won’t be on the top of my list to see again! Not that I would pass up the opportunity to go again…
I Expect to do something new in Japan every weekend if the budget stretches. I will save a little each month, because I am cautious being. I intend to travel 2-3 times a month and do something ‘local’ the other days.
By travel I mean, either bullet train, or travel over two hours by train to get to my destination and possibly stay overnight.
I know my training is in
Tokyo Yokohama, so I might even tick a few off very early in Japan
- Buy a map of Japan and pin every location I have ever been with a picture, then add to it.
Climb to the top of Mt. Fuji.Sunset viewing or just normal who knows. Done! Almost. See this story. Buy a bike and explore for an entire day.Done!
- Travel in an overnight bus. (I think I will do this in the winter for some kind of mini holiday)
Sing in a karaoke bar (not alone)Done! Watch a concert in JapanDone! Try out an onsen. (if I can)Done!
- Visit Osaka
- Visit all main islands of Japan. (Easier than it sounds.)
- Try authentic sashimi
- Toro Nagashi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8Dr%C5%8D_nagashi
Kanamara Matsuri festival (The big penis whipping down the street.)Done!
- Visit the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.
- Stay in a capsule hotel (Can’t wait)
- Go up the Tokyo sky tree, already done the tower!
Go to a local izakaya. (Like a pub!)Done!
- Participate in Aomori’s Neputa festival.
Buy a YukataDone! Buy something incredibly useless at the huge Daiso on Takeshita Doori.(Not a spoon)Done! Buy something incredibly useful at the huge Daiso on Takeshita Doori. (A spoon)Done!
- Visit Kabukicho (Tokyo’s red light district, don’t take pictures!)
- Eat at a conveyor belt sushi bar.
- Go to a maid café
Do the Shibuya crossing. (If I can find it!)Done!
- Find a plastic food shop
- Find a really, really interesting toilet. (Audio books?)
- Get rip-roaringly drunk on sake.
- Learn Japanese
- Go snowboarding/skiing in Hokkaido.
- Visit the snow festival in Hokkaido
- Go through the underground tunnel to Hokkaido.
- Visit Sapporo, land of the beers.
- Try Natto.
- Visit the Japanese Alps http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6043.html
Find someone from my own country I don’t know (Easy!)Done
- Watch a sumo match.
Try a weird flavour of Kit-Kat. (Marmite?)Done!
- Stay in a Temple
Drop in at a Pokemon Center!Done!
- Go to a music festival
- Wash some money in Kamakura http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3111.html
- Stay in a love hotel
I think I can get this done.